[FoRK] beware inevitability! a foil tothe technologicalsingularity?

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Sat Oct 15 12:04:46 PDT 2005

Russell Turpin wrote:

> Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net>:
>
>> .. There's the theory that Star Wars spending and apparently possible
>> success caused mirrored spending and/or resignation by Soviet
>> military. ..
>

> At the time, the technical community widely recognized
> Star Wars as a boondoggle of the highest order. Even
> the staged tests failed. The technology of the time
> simply wasn't up to the goal.

That's why I said "apparently possible success".  Everyone agrees that
it had no chance, and I'm sure that many at the time knew or suspected
the same thing.  On the other hand, we know that black budgets produced
amazing things that were kept quiet for long periods of time, such as
ultra-high resolution satellite imagery.  This is enough to have thought
at the time that some proposed things might become possible.