[FoRK] National Identity

Albert Scherbinsky albert
Sat Oct 15 15:37:10 PDT 2005

Canadians often define themselves as how they are
different from Americans. This alone goes to show just
how similar we are. Canadians go out of there way to
assert their distinctness and even superiority to
Americans, which goes to show just how insecure
Canadians are about their national identity.
Personally, I prefer to just accept what I am, one
heck of lot like our neighbors to the south. Of
course, I'm one heck of a lot more like somebody from
Illinois or New York, than I am like someone from
Texas or Mississippi or Quebec(I don't speak French).
National identity is an interesting thing. People want
to belong to something bigger than themselves, but
something that reflects their culture and values.
This, I guess, is why many Quebecers want their own
seperate national identity and why the South wanted to
separate from the U.S.

What if the leaders of your country do things that are
entirely inconsistent with your values? How does that
affect your national identity?

Albert

--- Albert Scherbinsky <albert at softwarepress.com>