[FoRK] National Identity

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Sat Oct 15 15:56:32 PDT 2005

Albert Scherbinsky wrote:

>Canadians often define themselves as how they are
>different from Americans. This alone goes to show just
>how similar we are. Canadians go out of there way to
>assert their distinctness and even superiority to
>Americans, which goes to show just how insecure
>Canadians are about their national identity.
>Personally, I prefer to just accept what I am, one
>heck of lot like our neighbors to the south. Of
>course, I'm one heck of a lot more like somebody from
>Illinois or New York, than I am like someone from
>Texas or Mississippi or Quebec(I don't speak French).
>National identity is an interesting thing. People want
>to belong to something bigger than themselves, but
>something that reflects their culture and values.
>This, I guess, is why many Quebecers want their own
>seperate national identity and why the South wanted to
>separate from the U.S.
>
>What if the leaders of your country do things that are
>entirely inconsistent with your values? How does that
>affect your national identity?

"What if"?  You mean "Whenever leaders ... do things that are entirely
inconsistent"?
We have that constantly.  Our national identity, as much as the "Moral
Majority" (which is neither as they say) and others want to assert is
their one true way, is multifaceted and always changing.  We expect
everyone else to differ from us to some extent and just expect to find a
middle ground of fairness and accommodation in most realms.  This
includes legal issues, commerce, school, free speech, etc.  To me, this
has always seemed fractal.  Even in the homogeneous little town I grew
up in, there was a completely different style of church every 3 blocks
it seemed and no end of people weird in some way.

We know that "leaders" like the President are short timers and will be
judged harshly when necessary, at least after they're gone.  The Supreme
Court, local courts, dynastic leaders (sometimes congresspeople but more
often local fixtures) are the real concern for most people, but they can
always escape by moving.  The trend at the Federal level has been mostly
toward more fair business and personal freedoms, regardless of rhetoric.

sdw