[FoRK] National Identity - Canada

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Sat Oct 15 19:36:40 PDT 2005

Hackneyed writers often assert that Canadians have no national
identity other than that which separates them from Americans.  Of
course, there is a lot that separates us from Americans, but who
cares?  I think that those hackneyed writers are wrong.  Among other
things:

Canada is a nation of incredible diversity, built largely by
immigrants within the last century.  This means that within our land
there is a cacophony of cultures asserting themselves, their
holidays, their traditions, their forms of expression, and their
beliefs.  These inform the lawmakers of the country, they seep subtly
into the music you hear on the radio and the programming you see on
television, and they are evidenced in the many different faces from
different lands that you'll see as you walk any street in any city in
Canada.  We are an open society which respects the rights of the
individual above those of the corporation (there is no charter of
rights and freedoms for companies, but there is for people).  Yes,
many of us (OK most of us) like hockey, we enjoy the outdoors, and
many of us suffer gladly through brutal winters (but then again, so
do many Americans).  We are fiercely proud of our most successful
products, often in the form of athletes, actors, and directors.  In
fact, there are 500,000 of us living in Los Angeles making LA
Canada's 6th largest city.  We believe in compassion, as expressed
through our politics and our charitable contributions to
organizations like UNICEF.  We actively practice the separation of
church and state, which is a lucky thing since there are so many
denominations actively practised in various churches in Canada that
combining the two would be impractical.  Our country was born in
diplomacy, not war, and this has been our speciality ever since,
though when called upon we went in force early, without waiting to be
attacked, to two wars in Europe and one in Korea to push back
oppressors, and we are proud (rightly so) of this heritage too.  The
one time we were attacked, we not only drove the invaders across the
border but we pushed them back beyond their own capital city and
burned down their White House.  We are a proud and moral nation, and
we can hold our heads high when we travel anywhere in the world.

And we should.

-Ian.