[FoRK] National Identity - American

Albert Scherbinsky albert
Sun Oct 16 09:19:35 PDT 2005

--- "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Albert Scherbinsky wrote:
> >What if the leaders of your country do things that
> are
> >entirely inconsistent with your values? How does
> that
> >affect your national identity?
> >

> "What if"?  You mean "Whenever leaders ... do things
> that are entirely
> inconsistent"?
> We have that constantly.
> We know that "leaders" like the President are short
> timers and will be
> judged harshly when necessary, at least after
> they're gone.

Sounds like Americans feel just as disassociated with
their national political leaders as Canadians do. I
think there was a time in both nations when national
political leaders were held in higher regard. Their
actions were more tightly bound to the national
identity.

> The trend at the Federal level has been mostly
> toward more fair business and personal freedoms,
> regardless of rhetoric.

I was thinking more along the lines of foreign
affairs. But, I can see how people would be even more
disassociated when it comes to foreign affairs, since
they don't see how it affects them directly.

I've wondered on occasion how American north
easterners identify themselves nationally when they
are just so darn similar to Ontarians. It must be
difficult living in the shadow of the center of the
Universe, Toronto. :) :) :) :) (sorry couldn't resist)

Albert