[FoRK] National Identity - Canada

Albert S. albert.scherbinsky
Sun Oct 16 14:45:43 PDT 2005

--- Owen Byrne <owen at permafrost.net> wrote:

> Well as a Canadian who doesn't think much of the
> usual Canadian
> stereotypes - as I'm from the eastern part that most
> "eastern" Canadians
> seem to forget about, I came across this random
> quote today which I
> thought was funny.
> "Just think, Canada could have had American
> technology, English culture
> and French cuisine.
> Gad, they ended up with American culture, English
> cuisine, and French
> technology."

That is funny. I do think we have gotten something
from everybody, but mostly we are similar to America,
which was inevitable since we share a common British
heritage and the longest binational border in the
world. A big part of culture is tied up in language
and we both get that from Britain.

In Canada we have French as a second official
language. They tried but failed to force it on me in
school. I wouldn't have minded learning French but
they went about it the wrong way. They tried to teach
us grammar before we could speak it. Children can
speak English fluently before they start teaching them
English Grammar. It seems to me they should have
gotten us speaking French first, and had oral instead
of written tests.

I don't think we should underestimate Canada in
technology though. We have some world class high
technology companies, like RIM, NT and Cognos.

I do think we got shafted out of the French cuisine,
but we did get putine, so it's not all bad. :)

Albert