[FoRK] thinking about responsibility

Kevin Elliott k-elliott
Mon Oct 24 12:04:27 PDT 2005

At 18:57 +0000  on  10/24/05, Russell Turpin wrote:
>Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu>:
>>Either that embryo will grow into a person..
>
>That depends entirely on how it is treated.
>(And on luck. Most embryos won't, regardless.)
>
>The question is: Why should its *potential* to
>become a person carry all the ethical weight
>you seem wont to grant it?

Because potential people matter.  If you boil it down enough all of
these arguments reduce to the level of worth given to "people" and by
extension the precursor to a "person".  By extension, do you think
the ethical question is the same at 6 months vs. 1 month?

We've been talking mostly from the "life begins at conception"
perspective, but what about the whole spectrum of development?  When
does the tumor become a person?