[FoRK] thinking about responsibility

Russell Turpin deafbox
Mon Oct 24 12:45:14 PDT 2005

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu>:
>When I talk about potential, I'm not talking about how something put in
>exactly the right
>conditions might evolve.  I'm talking about the inevitable results of
>leaving something alone. If you leave a pregnant woman alone ...

She will starve. Very few pregnant women
today are capable of growing or catching their
own food.

What you're now injecting into the argument,
that allows you to draw a moral distinction
between embryos in vitro and in vivo, is the
notion that "the natural course of development"
has some special claim to rightness. Speaking
as a beneficiary of 21st century technology, I
think that is nonsense. The whole course of
human history is one of technological
development, of people preferring artificial
means that expand our choices over just
allowing things to develop as they would if just
left alone.