R: [FoRK] thinking about responsibility

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Mon Oct 24 18:43:56 PDT 2005

The ratios are probably not too indicative due to scale, concentration, etc.

The real issue I think is inner city vicious cycles, although these
bleed out pretty far into the burbs too.
You're not going to see drug lords, gang wars, crack babies, etc. in the
villages in Ohio or Kansas.  You need a particular range of sick
environment for that kind of thing to become widespread.  NYC, Detroit,
and other large cities are artificial environments that get pretty dank
if not carefully cultivated and/or "gentrified" (in the economic sense,
not racial, although it was used in the latter fashion in the Washington
Post recently) (San Francisco, Denver (as far as I could tell),
Columbus, OH (vs. Cleveland), etc.).

The "war on drugs" is really misguided...  At the very least, drug
offenders should not be locked up with other kinds of offenders.  What's
wrong with forced living in a completely foreign environment with
available useful work, education, etc.?

Heck, even running call centers with certain classes of inmates might be
a good idea, tightly monitored.

sdw