[FoRK] Re: thinking about responsibility

Kevin Elliott k-elliott
Tue Oct 25 12:00:57 PDT 2005

At 14:46 -0500  on  10/24/05, Corinna wrote:
>"Kevin Elliott" <k-elliott at wiu.edu> wrote in message
>>  The embryo will fail naturally, in which case the abortion question is
>>  moot, OR their will be a baby.
>
>Slightly tangential, but what if you kill something that would die anyways
>(of course you don't know if it will die, but something like 30% of all
>pregnancies end in death for the embryo)? Or what if you simply increase the
>chance that it will die naturally?

Legally, the fact that something would die is no excuse for killing
that thing.  That seems like a sensible rule and I see no reason to
disagree with it.

>What's the difference between:
>1) morning-after pill - sudden high dose of hormones preventing
>implantation,
>2) normal pill - prevents ovulation, or failing that, prevents implantation
>of fertilized egg. In effect it amplifies the natural probability of early
>miscarriage.
>3) IUD - physically prevents implantation, or creates toxic environment so
>fertilized egg is poisoned.

I don't have any moral problem with any of these.  They all seem to
me to beresponsible acts trying to prevent pregnancy.  Some may see
this as hypocritical, but I don't consider birth control in and of
itself immoral, and I don't really see much of a distinction between
taking a pill all the time and taking a pill once.

>4) abortion - chemical or physical means of killing early embryo
>5) drug user mother who spontaneously aborts/miscarries because of drug use
>6) unhealthy mother who spontaneously aborts/miscarries because she doesn't
>eat right or take care of herself (certainly some of that 30% rate I
>mentioned is due to bad nutrition. Your 3rd pregnancy has the highest
>probability of miscarrying partly because your body is drained after two
>pregnancies, especially if they're closely spaced.)

I don't see much of a difference here either.  Again, my contentions
is that most abortions occur as an easy out to avoid having to go
through a pregnancy.  The tools and support are their such that the
child could be brought to term and raised by a loving family, but
because of ignorance, laziness, and an unwillingness to take
responsibility, that's not happening.