[FoRK] Opinions Requested :-)

Andy Armstrong andy
Tue Oct 25 12:19:31 PDT 2005

On 24 Oct 2005, at 02:27, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> OK... so how do you send an MP3 in XML without BASE64 encoding it
> then?

If any ever did they I haven't seen any. Certainly the couple of
hundred or so I've looked at all arranged for the feed to link to the
MP3. You could theoretically inline the enclosure - but as you've
pointed out - that would be nasty :)

>> The 'subscribe' to an RSS feed (which generally means arranging
>> for their client software to poll it at regular intervals) and
>> when a new show is available either their client is configured to
>> fetch it automatically -or- they see that a new show is available
>> and manually fetch it.
>
> How do they detect the change without pulling down the content?

I'm not sure what's common practice but I assume the readers use some
heuristic that examines (perhaps) the URL of the MP3 - or the title
of the item or some combination thereof to detect new shows.

I'm currently writing Perl to parse the whole IndiePodder OPML meta-
feed so I'll be able to give you a more concrete answer to that in a
couple of days if you still need it :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net