[FoRK] Opinions Requested :-)

Andy Armstrong andy
Tue Oct 25 12:51:58 PDT 2005

On 25 Oct 2005, at 20:40, Reza B'Far wrote:
> 2)  Being able to receive podcasts in the same manner (the format
> is NOT
> mp3... mp3's are hardly a viable format for most consumer phones
> today...
> and even on the nicer phones, mp3 play back sucks up too much battery
> life... we use a different, much more compressed format and
> compromise on
> the audio quality side and go down to FM quality ... still,
> obviously more
> than plenty good enough for NPR podcasts, etc.)... our phone
> software never
> sees an RSS based enclosure, etc... it's all proxied by our
> servers... done
> by the same $5.00/month piece of software on your good old consumer-
> grade
> cell phone (defined by under $200)

In two years' time how many people won't have either an MP3 capable
phone or a stand-alone MP3 player?

> 3)  Being able to forward clips of podcasts to other folks from
> your phone
> (again, done by the same $5.00/month piece of software)

OK, so that's unique. I suppose it's all in the UI - how convenient
is it to select the clip?

Are you planning to send the clip as a multimedia message or transmit
just metadata (podcast id, start time, end time) and have their phone
fetch the actual content from the central server?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net