[FoRK] Opinions Requested :-)

Andy Armstrong andy
Tue Oct 25 14:23:25 PDT 2005

On 25 Oct 2005, at 22:03, Reza B'Far wrote:
> [Andy]
> Are you planning to send the clip as a multimedia message or
> transmit just
> metadata (podcast id, start time, end time) and have their phone
> fetch the actual content from the central server?
> [Reza]
> It's not MMS.  There are a lot of end-user issues associated with
> MMS (I can
> elaborate off-thread if necessary)... The client pulls the content
> from our
> server.

Yeah, the issues with MMS were my concern. It sounds interesting. Not
compelling for me - my cell doesn't even work at home - but I can see
how it works.

> I've also got some mixed responses (off-line) on this so far with some
> people very enthusiastic and others the opposite... interesting
> though...seems like there are people who use podcasts and love
> them... and
> those who don't and think they're irrelevant (at least on a mobile
> device)... I wonder, except for age, what would cause such clear
> bifurcation.

Cost of entry. You have to get all the software together (easier now
of course), and - most expensively - find stuff you like. People
who've got over that hump tend to love it while people who've either
not tried it at all - or random sampled a few 'casts and found them
to be pretty crappy - tend to think it'll never fly.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net