[FoRK] Himalaya

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Tue Oct 25 18:03:35 PDT 2005

On 25-Oct-05, at 3:36 PM, Robert Harley wrote:

> It's odd reading this...
>
> http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/
> 0,1-0 at 2-3226,36-703130 at 51-702569,0.html
>
>> Les sept alpinistes fran?ais et leurs onze guides n?palais, qui
>> ?taient port?s disparus depuis le jeudi 20 octobre dans la cha?ne
>> de l'Himalaya (N?pal), ont p?ri. La nouvelle a ?t? confirm?e,
>> lundi 24 octobre, par des secouristes, ? l'issue d'une nouvelle
>> journ?e
>> de vaines recherches. *"Tous les membres de l'?quipe de
>> l'exp?dition fran?aise vers le mont Kang Guru sont morts"*, a
>> d?clar? ?
>> la presse Bikram Neupane, pr?sident de l'Association des secours
>> en Himalaya (HRA).
>
> ... 18 climbers killed by an avalanche at 5000m; I was at well over
> 6000
> highly equipped with two pairs of trousers, a water-proof fleece,
> old gloves
> & scarf, some biscuits and a bottle of water (refilled with snow)
> just a
> couple of weeks ago...

I guess you're just lucky 32,000 tonnes of snow didn't roll down the
hill on top of you, then.

The four survivors were standing around outside the tent when the
avalanche hit, so that just goes to show you:  when you hear the roar
get the heck out of that thing and grab an ice axe..

-Ian.

PS -  (And you thought EVEREST was a tourist trap!  sheesh!)