[FoRK] Magnesium / Water cycle hydrogen production

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Tue Oct 25 18:45:07 PDT 2005

Thermite used magnesium, powdered magnesium, although aluminum powder
should work also.

Liquid petrol fires are hard to put out also, but we power our engines
with it already.  I don't see that one combustion method is that much
worse than another.

"High-quality energy" is plentiful and cheap when created in bulk for a
factory.  It's getting it in a form that is self-contained, relatively
safe, and cheap that's hard.

If either production of energy or storage of energy has a breakthrough,
everything may change.  It's the storage that's more interesting
however.  It's easy to create a small engine or ray gun, it's just hard
to power it with something you can carry with you.

sdw