[FoRK] Magnesium / Water cycle hydrogen production

Eugen Leitl eugen
Thu Oct 27 04:47:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 06:29:28PM -0500, Ken Meltsner wrote:

> If you used external combustion -- just burned the metal and used the
> energy to power a Stirling engine, I suppose -- you could avoid
> producing H2 entirely, and you'd pick up a few more points of
> efficiency.  Which is beside the point, but one more sign that this
> isn't the best idea overall.

The point of using hydrogen is to not burn it in a Carnot cycle
device but to utilize some >>80% of enthalpy of combustion in
an electrochemical fuel cell.

Also, going electrical has more synergies (less weight, simpler
system, regeneration of braking) which are impossible with
ICUs, regardless which fuel they burn. It's largely about
the weight and the regen braking, though.