[FoRK] appcasting (how to?)

Corinna corinna.schultz
Thu Oct 27 09:12:16 PDT 2005

Not a HowTo, but a How To?  :)

Warning: I'm at the idea stage right now, so the following is not entirely
comprehensible...

I know practically nothing about RSS from an implementation POV (other than
the bit of XML you write).  I ran across an article describing the idea of
appcasting - using RSS to send software updates. This might be an idea I can
use, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse (from an implementation or
user pov) than writing a ftp client to connect to the ftp server, check for
updates, and download if there's one.

As a clueless user, which would you prefer? (is there a difference to the
user?) As a developer, which would you rather implement?

I'd probably not be able to use an existing aggregator, because our users
are clueless and the whole thing should be transparent to them (when they
launch the program, it should tell them if there are updates, and prompt for
install, like how XP does).

So maybe I should just do ftp...

-Corinna