[FoRK] The real problem with Big Pharma....

Albert S. albert.scherbinsky
Sat Oct 29 11:32:28 PDT 2005

There is no denying that Big Pharma is having
problems. The PPH is down almost 50% over five years.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/charts/big.chart?symb=pph&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=166823&style=320&time=12&freq=1&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=2810&mocktick=1

The real problem is not the importation of cheap drugs
from Canada, which by the way are getting less cheap
as the Canadian dollar has been rising dramatically
against the U.S. dollar. More precisely the U.S.
dollar is being flushed down the toilet with
profligate government spending, and loose monetary
policy. But, that's another story.

The real problem is cash cow drugs coming off patent
and the newer drugs blowing up with side effects and
efficacy problems. In the software industry if there
is a bug in software and peoples computers are
crashing, the company issues a patch and everything is
happiness and light. In the pharma industry if there
is a bug in the pillware and peoples bodies are
crashing, products are withdrawn from the market.

Albert

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/intchart/frames/frames.asp?symb=pph

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-golden27oct27,1,784104.column?