[FoRK] Re: flag burning...

Corinna corinna.schultz
Mon Oct 31 12:47:50 PST 2005

<mattj at newsblip.com> wrote in message
> Quoting Corinna <corinna.schultz at gmail.com>:
>
>> I made everyone stand up, though, to show respect.
>
> Interesting.  If schools still had a daily prayer, would you make everyone
> bow
> their heads, to show respect?

If the law said that, say, the Lord's Prayer had to be recited (I remember
doing that in 3rd grade, in Rio Hondo, TX), I would talk about why it's
unconstitutional, say that it was up to them whether or not to pray, but
that they have to sit quietly out of respect for those that wanted to. (Not
bow heads, since that's a religious posture.)

It's a fine line because as a teacher I'm a representative of the state.
It's a difficult ethical position (akin to police who have to enforce the
law even if they think it is unconstitutional). But I heard some teachers
who explicitly forbade their students to participate, and I don't agree with
that kind of agression in the classroom.  I'm not sure my choice was any
better, really -- too wishy-washy for my taste, but as a teacher there were
so many ethical problems for me. That's one reason I was glad to get a
programming job instead.

For what it's worth, I didn't actually follow the letter of the law, which
said that students could be exempted with a parent's letter, because at the
high school level, I think kids should be able to make that kind of decision
for themeselves (I did have a few that felt strongly about it). So I didn't
require a letter.

When I sent my son to Kindergarten, I talked to the teacher, and sent a
formal letter that we didn't want him saying the pledge. We told him to
stand quietly or whatever the teacher said to do, but that we didn't want
him saying it because he shouldn't say things he didn't (and couldn't)
understand.

>> Patriotic citizens, under
>> the watchful eyes of a free press, march up to a flag pole outside of an
> (Perhaps you'd feel as Democrats felt
> when the (choreographed) Republican mob invaded the ballot-counting
> offices in
> Florida.  But more so, since your opponents are *taking our flag!* )

I'm actually not familiar with this situation, but from what you said above,
as long as they were orderly, non-threatening, I wouldn't have a problem
with it (as an outsider, that is. If I were there, I would probably feel
threatened. I've never been in that kind of situation, so I'm only
guessing.)

One difference, though, is that the flag is outside, so you're not invading
anybody, and the sense of threat is (or can be) minimized. I wonder how this
kind of action would be received, though.

If I were the activist type, and I were to organize a flag-taking, I'd start
with Congress. They aren't doing their checks-and-balances duties, and are
thereby undermining the Constitution pretty seriously.

-Corinna