[FoRK] Homeopathy

Reza B'Far reza
Thu Nov 3 12:53:34 PST 2005

IMHO:

Homeopathy = bullshit + unexplained

What I don't understand is fascination that people have to explain those
things that we don't understand in a perfectly scientific way with "magical
explanations".

You can't build a discipline around the unexplained.  What they should do is
have the IQ and the patience to do the scientific (chemistry/physics)
research to understand the physical/chemical mechanisms... Homeopathy is a
total waste of time to try to come up with cures that either don't exist or
that we don't understand.  And if we don't understand it, then we should be
trying to understand it, not playing a random guessing game.

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-bounces at xent.com [mailto:fork-bounces at xent.com]On Behalf Of
Corinna
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:27 PM
To: fork at xent.com
Subject: [FoRK] Homeopathy

Has anyone heard about this research finding? Is it legit?
-Corinna
===

http://www.sixside.com/13_things_that_do_not_make_sense.htm

MADELEINE Ennis, a pharmacologist at Queen's University, Belfast, was the
scourge of homeopathy. She railed against its claims that a chemical remedy
could be diluted to the point where a sample was unlikely to contain a
single molecule of anything but water, and yet still have a healing effect.
Until, that is, she set out to prove once and for all that homeopathy was
bunkum.

In her most recent paper, Ennis describes how her team looked at the effects
of ultra-dilute solutions of histamine on human white blood cells involved
in inflammation. These "basophils" release histamine when the cells are
under attack. Once released, the histamine stops them releasing any more.
The study, replicated in four different labs, found that homeopathic
solutions - so dilute that they probably didn't contain a single histamine
molecule - worked just like histamine. Ennis might not be happy with the
homeopaths' claims, but she admits that an effect cannot be ruled out.

 You can understand why Ennis remains sceptical. And it remains true that no
homeopathic remedy has ever been shown to work in a large randomised
placebo-controlled clinical trial. But the Belfast study (Inflammation
Research, vol 53, p 181) suggests that something is going on.