[FoRK] Xen?

Eugen Leitl eugen
Thu Dec 1 01:18:34 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 02:54:32AM -0500, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> I like vserver also.  I ran my production web/email server under UML for
> over a year, which was interesting but not quite stable enough.

I intend to fill a class C network with vservers on 2-3 smallish systems
(with lots of swap, though).

> Xen is interesting, but I want the shared efficiency of vserver and
> don't care (anymore) about having multiple kernels running at the same

Xen is only interesting as an alternative to VMWare. Unlike VMWare,
it doesn't provide a homogenous hardware view, so you can't simply
migrate virtual machines.

> time.  The "zones" style security in Linux and Solaris seems to be
> complete enough that security shouldn't be an issue.

It's possible to beef up VServer with GRE patches.

> Xen has fewer uses, but is still interesting, so I hope to have both.
> For benchmarking distributed algorithms, Xen is probably the way to go,
> but for actually running multiple instances for real work, vserver makes
> more sense.

Yes. Raw VServers are the craze in hosting right now.