[FoRK] backpedaling... when terse isn't a good thing, and other PL thoughts

Jeff Bone jbone
Fri Dec 9 12:45:58 PST 2005

On Dec 9, 2005, at 12:39 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

>> Existence proof to the contrary:  Galaxy.  (If you remember that.)
>
> I am young and stupid. Enlighten me.
>
> Luis

Cross-platform (many *IXen, Windows, Mac) cross-language (C, C++)
application framework from the early 90s, created by Visix.  Actually
quite good, and used abstracted bindings to native widgets to provide
a deeper level of integration w/ the underlying platforms than I've
seen in any other cross-platform GUI / application framework.  Very
nice --- closest thing to a "meta-OS" I've ever seen, and closest
thing in a comprehensive framework design that I've seen to NeXTStep
circa '92 (actually nicer in a few ways, not as good in others.)

     http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/jx/galaxy.php

jb