[FoRK] backpedaling... when terse isn't a good thing, and other PL thoughts

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Fri Dec 9 15:45:37 PST 2005

Compared to XView, Athena, Motif, etc. I suspect that Galaxy was a
dream come true.  Everything is relative, after all, and I remember
those libraries as being much too annoying to even consider.

Back then, I was using Common LISP with Garnet (from CMU), which had
zillions of idiosyncracies but was also incredibly cool.  It was built
on top of a constraint and frames engine, so it magically kept views
in sync with the underlying data.  Very cool.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bam

They tried to join the mainstream with Amulet (C++) but I don't think
it ever caught on.  There were enough hardcore Amulet users that there
was an Open Amulet site at one point.  Java had subArctic, a similar
UI system  based on constraints, but that got even less traction.

Ken Meltsner

--
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but model train sets do a pretty
good job as well

-- 2/28/05, in a odd dream