[FoRK] Re: Re: Milestones toward the end of religion

Corinna corinna.schultz
Tue Dec 27 09:54:11 PST 2005

"Albert S." <albert.scherbinsky at rogers.com> wrote in message
>I'm not saying that organized religion does a
>good job at teaching morals and ethics ... Parents have
>a large role here I suppose.

This is definitely true. As a parent of little kids, I have become very
aware of how everything about our home environment influences their outlook.
It's a pity more parents don't see that and take greater care, and actively
*teach* their kids.

When I was a kid, and became old enough to recognize the hypocrisy in my
parents (we all have ways we're hypocritical, I'm not passing judgement
here),  it really threw me. And when I tried to talk about it, they didn't
really understand what I was getting at. I must have been around 13 or so, I
think, and concerned with why dressing up for church was important (but only
on Sundays, not Wednesdays), and why Christian rock music was bad but
secular country music was ok...

> But, none of the philosophy courses, that I took, addressed
> morals and ethics.

Yeah, philosophy is a big field. What I'm suggesting is that with a solid
epitemology course (the foundation/justification of knowledge),  you get a
pretty good foundation from which to think things trough for yourself. In my
ideal world, every kids (either in school or out of it) would go through a
philosophy sequence, oh, off-the-cuff, I'd say: epistemology/ religion,
ethics/ morality, existentialism/ postmodernism in which they'd read the
most influential thinkers, and debate the ideas among themselves, with the
goal of beginning to develop their own philosophical outlook

-Corinna