[FoRK] Dreidel loading?

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Tue Dec 27 17:45:59 PST 2005

OK -- we played dreidel (a four-sided top labeled with 4 Hebrew
letters) and one of the dreidels had an interesting bias: when spun
clockwise, it came up with Nun and Shin, but when spun
counter-clockwise, it almost always came up with Gimel.

We discovered this when our left-handed boy ended up winning
everything in short order.

So, is there any explanation of this behavior?  I can imagine loading
a dreidel by weighting one face, but I don't understand why spin
direction mattered so much.

[I tried the loaded dreidel both ways, and its behavior was
consistently biased for dozens of spins.  Which hand I used and the
spot where it was spun didn't seem to matter.]

Ken Meltsner

--
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but model train sets do a pretty
good job as well

-- 2/28/05, in a odd dream