[FoRK] Testing for Mac's

Lucas Gonze lgonze
Fri Dec 30 22:54:22 PST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Kevin Elliott wrote:
> Yes, and if you go into most computer support forums with a mac question the
> advice is "Get windows".

Maybe in the 80s and 90s, but not anymore.  The answer at this point is
"Get Standards", the lack of which Apple has nobody but itself to blame
for.

Apple's culture is pre-internet and it shows in a million different ways.
This should not be an issue.

> This is EXACTLY the same excuse people have been using for writing IE only
> web pages for along time.  It was a silly excuse then and it still is.

We're not talking IE-only, we're talking standards-only.  Different kind
of animal.

> If
> Safari is so hard to work with, how do so many web pages manage to work with
> it?

They don't, and it's Apple's loss.

> The bad investment argument is, well, a bad argument.  Market share is a VERY
> complicated question and the simplistic "this is how many users use X"
> doesn't really tell you much about YOUR customers.

I didn't say it was only about market share, I said it was a tradeoff
between the difficulty of the work and the amount of market share.
Firefox is very easy to work with, Safari isn't; FF is 10-20%, Safari is
2-5%; influencers are on Firefox, sheep are on IE, the people left on
Safari are rarely an important-enough market to be worth coddling Apple on
its bizarre myopia WRT web standards.