[FoRK] High school curriculum

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Mon Jan 2 15:40:29 PST 2006

Fixing the motivation issue is the biggest thing on the agenda.  My home
life was unpleasant so I liked school 10-1 over being at home, I wanted
to succeed so as not to be limited (i.e. imprisoned by lack of
resources), and I was precocious, terminally curious, and had a lot of
energy.  We need some constructive methods for generating internal drive
and self-sufficiency that are continually reinforced.

My kids live in a relative paradise and can't quite internalize anything
like a real drive to compete, succeed, or be interested beyond the play
stage with anything.  I can tell they're affected by memes like:
learning isn't cool, competing isn't desirable, teenagers shouldn't be
told what to do, nobody can tell you your art isn't good or right (and
therefore there's no point it learning much about existing art or
techniques, whatever "I" want to do is automatically worth doing), etc.

I thought my high school was relatively good for such a small school,
but another classmate thought he was underprepared when he got to college.

sdw