[FoRK] High school curriculum

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn
Mon Jan 2 16:55:19 PST 2006

On Jan 2, 2006, at 6:40 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> My kids live in a relative paradise and can't quite internalize
> anything like a real drive to compete, succeed, or be interested
> beyond the play stage with anything.

Lack of initiative and creativity are the two biggest issues I see at
high school. A lot of that comes from kids not having a "drive"
because, perhaps, things are handed to easily to them. Lack of
creativity stems somewhat from that, but the curriculum here tends to
stifle creativity as a much as it does in Japan. Boring subjects
taught in an uninspired way by mediocre teachers who themselves
aren't academically talented. The exceptional kids are the ones who
know how to play the game and take the initiative to make sure
they're going to end up in a good university. Whether *that* matters
in the long run is an open question IMHO.