[FoRK] Re: High school curriculum

Albert S. albert.scherbinsky
Tue Jan 3 13:40:38 PST 2006

>From my own personal experience going through the
public school system here in Ontario, Canada, I found
that the quality of the teachers and curriculum had
everything to do with how well I did.

I did grade 7 in a 7-8 "junior high" as they call it
here. The teachers and the quality of the programs was
really excellent. I did really well and ranked second
in the school academically that year. I was stimulated
and challenged and excelled. My parents then moved to
another city where I did grade 8 in a K-8 where the
teachers were mediocre and the programs were a joke. I
barely scraped by. The lack of quality continued in
the high school there, were I got into truancy
problems and was suspended several times. In grade 11
after speaking with a guidance councillor I decided to
apply myself in spite of the crappy teachers, and by
grade 13 there were a few good teachers that
challenged me and I did well enough to get into a good
university.

Albert