[FoRK] Re: A bit of religion - Problem of Evil

Corinna corinna.schultz
Thu Jan 5 05:34:34 PST 2006

"Kevin Elliott" <k-elliott at wiu.edu> wrote in message
> As such the lack of "perfection" in our physical bodies is a straw man-
> they weren't meant to be perfect.

Part of the point, though, is that all sorts of things relating to our
physical bodies are considered evil. I don't think the argument is talking
about things like the shape of our spine, or the degradation of our bodies
once we can no longer reproduce. There is a lot of human suffering relating
to lack of resources - famine, etc - or due to competition with other
organisms - wild animals mauling people, diseases - and other things. Maybe
you want to define these kinds of things as not-evil... ?

Also, that was just an example, not really a point of the original argument:
"Here the suggestion only addresses certain aspects of the physiological and
psychological environment; it must be kept in mind that G would have the
ability to address and optimize across every remotely relevant element of
our existence from the charge of an electron, to the nature of geography and
space, to spiritual perspective, to the quality of the ecological
constraints man must regard, to the manner in
which our minds are structured -- indeed, of all realities, whether
conceivable or otherwise. "

-Corinna