[FoRK] Re: A bit of religion - Problem of Evil

Zee Roe zero
Thu Jan 5 11:11:18 PST 2006

This thread reminds me of a discussion I had with my brother a while back,
which was rather depressing.

His argument was this:

(a) If the concept of a "soul," or some other sort of supernatural essence
attached to us is an incorrect one, and
(b) We are defined entirely by genetics and mutations and such at birth,
and
(c) The universe works the way it does in a logically consistent fashion
(even if we don't remotely understand the processes by which it does
this), then:
(d) Free will does not exist -- between a "predictable" environment and
genetic makeup, how one will react to any event is entirely ordained based
on genetics and environment.

(After typing this I suppose the genetics bit is unnecessary, as it is
implied by an ordered universe, but that's how the argument went. :) )