[FoRK] Please, don't move them to Texas (was: A bit of religion)

Russell Turpin deafbox
Thu Jan 5 13:03:40 PST 2006

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu>:
>Every person on earth could fit in a massive suburb the size of Texas...

It's time to call bullshit on this oft-repeated factoid.
The city of Houston has a population of 2,012,626
in an area of 1,558 km^2. The state of Texas has
a total area of 696,241 km^2.

If you do the math, it would take a mere 900 million
people -- not even the population of China -- to
expand the city of Houston to the borders of the
entire state.

And that really would be hell on earth. Sometimes,
it seems inevitable.

Now me? I have  proposal to save the gulf
coast. Let's ban air conditioning within ten miles
of the shore. You can have Houston. Let's save
Kemah and Galveston and Palacios. ;-)