[FoRK] What Would Google Do (for me)? - Wal-Mart videos

mattj at newsblip.com mattj
Fri Jan 6 15:59:30 PST 2006

I forgot a cardinal rule of digital life.  When you need answers,
always ask yourself first: How could Google answer this for me?

Yesterday a story broke about walmart.com's video section linking
"Planet of the Apes" (PotA) to a set of biographies about African
Americans.  No other related links, just those biographies.  Suspicious?

So I started exploring, to see whether it was a fluke.  I followed the
related links. I looked at other PotA videos.  Was this data new?  I
spent a long time at archive.org trying to get old walmart.com pages to
load.  Simultaneously, Wal-Mart was dismantling the related links
system; all links were disappearing.

Not including a dinner break, I wasted four hours in this before
finally asking "What Would Google Do for me?"  Clearly, the four black
bios were a well-defined category. How many other videos were linked
just to that category, like PotA was?

The proper Google query was to include the black bio titles, and
site:walmart.com.  One of the bios was too recent, but after dropping
it, I got 100+ random titles that all had those black bios as their
"related links".  It was a bug, not a racist prank.  I noticed they all
seemed to be box sets. That seemed to be the only connection.  With
different queries, on MSN I was able to show that the problem has
existed at least since last summer, and at least up until last week
(the freshest cached pages).

Now I see that about an hour ago, Wal-Mart announced the technical
results: there was a problem in categorizing many unrelated box sets
and twin packs with a tag created last January for a Martin Luther King
special collection.

Anyway, I had to post my frustration with myself for not thinking of
the better search idea right away.

-Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle