[FoRK] Re: A bit of religion - Problem of Evil

Lucas Gonze lgonze
Sun Jan 8 14:54:23 PST 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Corinna wrote:>
> "Kevin Elliott" <k-elliott at wiu.edu> wrote in message
>> Free Will.
>
> The Christian solution to the problem of evil seems self-contradictory. Has
> God willingly limited himself (and so is effectively no longer omni*) by
> having the requirement that people have free will? .. kind of like a writer
> willingly limits themselves when they write a haiku..

I think that the christian idea of grace follows from this same point.
God does have to grant you salvation in exchange for good works, but the
ability to do good works follows only from grace.

Or something.  It's not clear, and is one of the endless theological
arguments that led to one war after another during the protestant
reformation.  There's nothing about an act of self-human-sacrifice which
implies the answer.

-Lucas