[FoRK] Re: A bit of religion - Problem of Evil

J. Andrew Rogers andrew
Sun Jan 8 14:54:23 PST 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Zee Roe wrote:
> (d) Free will does not exist -- between a "predictable" environment
> and
> genetic makeup, how one will react to any event is entirely
> ordained based
> on genetics and environment.

Determinism does not preclude the illusion of "free will".  Even if
human action is based on nothing more than classical determinism, we
cannot observe that fact even if we know it is true in the abstract.
Deterministic self-modeling is verboten in AIT, making free-will an
impenetrable illusion for the user, possibly in all contexts in this
universe for systems of non-trivial complexity.  Of course, all bets
are off if the observer is not actually in the universe (e.g. the
Simulation Argument).

Humans are sufficiently close to finite deterministic entities, at
least in terms of predictive error complexity, that one could hardly
go wrong treating them as such.

J. Andrew Rogers