[FoRK] Euro Bonds etc.

Wilkin, Kurt Kurt.Wilkin at fnzc.co.nz
Wed Jan 18 18:41:52 PST 2006

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> If the U.S. or Japan
> goes, the whole house of cards will come crashing down. Even those,
> who're not having problems -- these would be suddenly limited to
> their domestic markets.

Not so sure about Japan - their current good fortune is
hurting (well, -ish) quite a few places as they go on bond
buying sprees every time interest rates rise. Naively,
ISTM that'd relieve some pressure.

But still not sure on the 'Cards, House Of' theory
(the "new Economy" is teh w1n!!!) we're on the back of
several things which would've been catastrophic 20 or
so years ago.
No particular faith in the system, other than its proved
to be more fault-tolerant than it ever gets credit for being.

> Real estate will become pretty much devalued (though no housing
> bubble here, thanks god). Essentials (energy, food) prices are
> going to soar.

Again rather naive, but ISTM housing devaluation would suit
a lot of people who at the moment can't afford to buy within
their community (San Franciscobians would win big).

The other big deal rarely mentioned is that baby-boomers
hitting retirement age with a lifetime worth of savings
are doing the same things to housing markets as they've
done to every other market they've been interested in.
Wasn't it 10 or 15 years ago (and midlife crisis time:)
that Harley Davidson roared back into life?

> If I was USian, and had funds to spare, instead of gold I'd probably
> invest in a hut in a remote location, with supplies, oil/gas
> and gun/ammo
> cache.

Naw, head for rural centres. If its as bad as all that wages
will be cheaper than oil, and there'll be an assload of manual
labour needed any food growing operation. The perks'll be valuable,
if you're smart enough you'd get to manage, you'll be learning
how to grow your own and employee shrinkage impossible to trace:)
Plus they'll have all the money (everyone'll still want food)
so state government will have a strong position in national govt
and their police better equipped than you can be on your own.

On the other hand, if its triffids...

> The spanish flu barely
> made a dent in the population histogram. The 1/2 or 2/3rd killers are
> really rare.

Hmmm. <Wanders off to ask google what *has*>

Cheers, Kurt.

--
This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential and
intended for the named recipient's use only.  If you are not the intended
recipient (i) do not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way, (ii)
please let us know by return email immediately then destroy the message, and
any hard copies of the message, and any attachments.  The sender of this
message is not responsible for any changes made to this message and/or any
attachments and/or connection linkages to the Internet referred to in this
message after it has been sent.  Unless otherwise stated, any pricing
information given in this message and/or attachments is indicative only, is
subject to change and does not constitute an offer to buy or sell securities
or derivatives at any price quoted.  Any reference to the terms of executed
transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to separate
formal written notification.  Where reference is made to research material
and/or research recommendations, the basis of the provision of such research
material and/or recommendations is set out in the relevant disclaimer.