[FoRK] Is it lin-ucks, or line-icks?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jan 16 11:05:43 PST 2006

I believe that the full story from Linus is that he prefers "lin-ucks"
in English and "lee-nooks" in Finnish but he doesn't care how people
pronounce it.

I favor "lin-ucks" (actually I pronounce it more like: "lih-nucks" with
emphasis on the first syllable).  The English rule about the vowel being
long when followed by a single consonant which is followed by a vowel is
dampened by the fact that it is a "nux" ending.  "nux" endings seem to
me to be in a category that feels better with a short vowel preceding
them, sort of a virtual doubled consonant.

sdw