[FoRK] a conundrum

Damien Morton fork at bitfurnace.com
Thu Jan 19 08:58:33 PST 2006

Cant sleep tonight and heres why:

I read the other day that internet users can form an opinion about a
website in 50 milliseconds, one that closely corresponds to the options
formed after much longer viewings.

I havent been able to find the original paper, but Im thinking that
these internet users could probably not even begin to describe what they
had seen in those 50 milliseconds they form their opinion in.

Whats troubling me is the possibility that people are forming opinions
about other facets of life in the same amount of time.

Over the last few years ive been throwing out a theory of conciousness,
mostly as a joke, that conciousness is a parasite furiously explaining
and justifying its existance, pretending to be in control, while its
host goes about its daily business unaware of the existance of the parasite.

What if the host is the one that takes 50 milliseconds to form an
opinion, and the only role of the parasite is to explain that opinion to
itself?