[FoRK] Re: a conundrum

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Thu Jan 19 12:01:07 PST 2006

Corinna wrote on 1/19/2006 10:11 AM:
> My personal theory is that evolution hasn't had enough time to really work
> on intelligence and so we're not very well integrated rght now. The more
> intelligent you are, the more disconnect there seems to be, and so there
> ensues a struggle to maintain sanity (in the more extreme cases).

That would explain on a biological level why everyone I've ever met that
I considered intelligent was also clearly maladjusted, and generally
incapable of acting in ways that benefited their inner animal. Of course
these days I'm surrounded by the most extreme examples of this...

Even the most superficial observation that smart people Darwin
themselves by not having many kids, but dumb people have a dozen shows
that intelligence is a horrible gene to have. There are a million other
examples, our national mascot the couch potato is another funny one.

Back to the 50ms thing, the old rule that you have 5 seconds to make a
first impression no matter what you're doing is proven yet again, it's
just faster on the internet.

As a side effect tho, you can save alot of time. There is no point in
doing things for more then 5 seconds, as by then you've already decided
on the feel of the thing, and any more time spent on it is wasted. I
often flip through my iTunes library, playing just snips of songs. I
only need a few seconds before the whole song flashes back in my head,
and then I just get annoyed because it feel like I just listened to the
song already.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/