[FoRK] bin Laden offers truce & why that's unacceptable

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 19 15:17:09 PST 2006

<MadAmericanRant>

He/they should have started with a truce.  And didn't the attacks
already reach our shores?  The long arm of the American giant woken by
9/11 won't stop until ObL and anyone working with him are no longer
free.  It's messy, ridiculously costly, and half (at least) the
decisions are between misguided and illegal, but it will be a while
before someone questions America's willingness to smack someone back who
smacks us.  The US won't run out of money, and we've only begun to get
creative about solving the problem.  If I were in charge, I would have
placed emphasis on both muslim-native infiltration and technology to
automatically suppress shots / missiles in a fire zone.  There have been
projects to do the latter, but I'd be rushing them to test and funding
competition until I could run automated vehicle convoys non-stop to draw
fire, fire back, scope out mines, and provide cover for vehicles with
human passengers.

Right now, I'd be providing favor to peaceful areas and immediate
sanctions on insurgent areas until locals helped themselves.

Overall, I'd have an intensive education program for Iraq and
Afghanistan that explains democracy, lawful society, philosophical
differences, progressive rather than regressive ideas, etc.  I'd even
have a program to pair Iraqi families with American or European families.

My impression is that part of the reason that Bush was reelected was
that a significant portion of voters wanted to make sure we kept a bull
in the china until the "job is done", damn the consequences.  The
mistake of those now-terrorists (ObL & co.) who thought America was weak
because we had a civilized and/or apparently bumbling leader is that
they don't get that the effective personality of the country can change
every 4 years, sometimes drastically, and there are infinite resources
and adaptability available if really necessary.  Consider that all of
the troops, money, effort, technology, fuel, and other resources have
had no measurable-to-the-average person cost so far in the US.  The key
component of winning WWII was, I believe, factory production in the US
along with a few good decisions.  Different kind of war of course, but
consider the kinds of automated technology and communication that we
could now produce.  Imagine every border crossing, road, and public
place having automated biometric surveillance with continuous
identification and tracking.  Big American Brother indeed.

I'd prefer to get civilized and intelligent back in office, but I want
some parts of the world to learn a lesson too: Don't act like barbarians
(to us especially) or we'll get medieval back.

Now, of course Iraqis (at least the ones who were in Iraq when they were
"liberated") aren't the same as ObL's crew, but there are those now who
seem to have the same viewpoints and drive to kill and resistance to
modernity.
</MadAmericanRant>

sdw