[FoRK] bin Laden offers truce & why that's unacceptable

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 19 17:05:29 PST 2006

Either you say "This is what works for the civilized world." or you just
bound them like a primitive tribe and expect them to understand your
actions by osmosis.  Of course you don't want to have reeducation camps
and forced adherence to an ideology, and I didn't suggest that.  You're
connection to China was a bit knee-jerk I think.  You also seem to be
taking the "don't force our culture on theirs" position.  If their
culture was working, great, but they're barely out of the stone age as
far as I can tell.  Without oil revenue and being consumers of the rest
of the world, they'd be pretty backward.  When everyone is miserable and
dysfunctional and can only concentrate on killing the rest of the world
because of the unfairness of it all and commandments from God, then I'm
not so interested in preserving the quaintness of the culture.  But
that's just me (this week).

I would definitely limit teaching of death to anyone, that's "hate
speech" regardless of religious couching.  I would require that schools
teach modern principles and a broad array of government, legal, medical,
scientific (yes, even evolution) knowledge.  I would give preference in
gov. jobs, licenses, teachers (especially) to those that have
demonstrated that knowledge.  If they choose to believe otherwise, fine,
but they should be exposed to it.  I assume that it is happening at
least to some extent, but it should be more pervasive and up front and
publicized.  Even teaching how a full economy works with mortgages,
insurance, credit bureaus, banks, finance, investment markets, etc. is
probably needed.

sdw