[FoRK] Fwd: TODAY: PARC Forum, Thursday, February 16, 4pm,Jan-Gustav Werthen, Ph.D;JDSU Photonic Power Group, "Powering Electronics with Light"

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Thu Feb 16 16:18:05 PST 2006

Photonic power using optical cables, usually fat, unshielded, and
brightly glowing, has been part of many trashy Sci-Fi shows and movies.

Opto22 has been around for a long time, producing optical isolated
input/output industrial modules.  I used them in the GE Lighting project
in 1984.

Cool that they are commercializing this well.  I would suspect that one
issue would be laser hazards of loose optical fiber.  A few watts of
light spewing from a fiber could become quite dangerous, let alone
hundreds of watts.  I suppose you could build in a dynamic feedback loop
to squelch power, just like a gas pump nozzle only reversed, like a
dead-man's-switch.  In fact, you could receive a heartbeat signal back
to validate the whole power processing structure to prevent overloads of
a crashed system or misrouted cables.  If they haven't patented it,
that's my contribution.  ;-)

sdw