[FoRK] yet another story about my kid

Gavin Thomas Nicol < gtn at rbii.com > on > Mon Mar 6 19:31:43 PST 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Corinna wrote:
> I told him to draw a vertical line and have the turtle end up in the
> beginning position, as a warm up and to make sure he got the idea.
> He tried
> fd -100, but the line was in the wrong place. So I mentioned to him
> that
> there was a back commond, and he quickly figured out to do
> back -100 rt -180 back -100

FWIW. When my oldest was about 6, I wrote a little assembler with an
animated Totoro that had simple commands for moving, putting the pen
up/down etc. It took him about 3 weeks to figure out how to draw most
of the letters (but he forgot most of it really quickly). I have a
firm belief that kids can pick up almost anything you toss at them.