[FoRK] Re: yet another story about my kid

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Wed Mar 8 06:46:50 PST 2006

I wasn't bad, but somehow people (and parents) had the sense to let me
run my life pretty much.

I never did drugs, hardly drank at all, and didn't really do anything
illegal.  My parents (father/stepmother) were clumsy and, overall, not
good at all with teenagers to the point of abuse.  One brother did well,
the other is a complete mess.  The father/stepmother had two children
together (my half brother and sister) who have done well; the stepmother
eventually learned parenting better.

I did do whatever I wanted, whenever, for as long as I wanted.  I would
go on 100 mile bike rides to other cities.  Run to my girlfriend's house
(20 miles away) and come back the next day.

I read for days, poked around my little town endlessly, trained for
track/cross country/10Ks/marathons.

At 15, I left home and lived with a friend.  At 17 I was married with an
18 year old pregnant wife (who became pregnant on purpose), had an
apartment and job, and was finishing my last couple classes in high school.

At that point, I should have gone to Ohio State like I planned; running,
academic, and economic scholarships / grants would have covered
everything most likely, but I didn't really get good advice.  Not having
grown up in a college town, I didn't get everything about the situation
and discounted obvious opportunities.

So, I slugged it out the hard way.  It turned out OK, but now even my
youngest are teenagers...  They are independent and confident, but
without uniformly strong drive for academics or sports / health, from
the boys especially.  None of them have really been problems, although
the older two boys flirted with it a bit post 18.

sdw