[FoRK] mod_pubsub way ahead of its time: Comet solves Ajax-envy

Lucas Gonze < lgonze at panix.com > on > Wed Mar 8 18:41:30 PST 2006

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Damien Morton wrote:
> Umm, I hate to call you on this, but what in particular does AJAX have to do
> with UNIX?
>
> I was doing AJAX in 1999, but it wasnt called that then, and it was IE-only,
> because only IE had a DOM mutable in javascript. Its only with the death of
> UNIX-ish / FOSS Netscape that AJAX has become a relatively universal
> possibility.

This story just shows how little of the value of AJAX is tied up in
XmlHttpRequest.  If you were doing IE-only DOM calls they were just
another API into COM.

What I'm saying is that virtually nothing important about AJAX is in
specific APIs.  What is important is the coming of FOSS-style conventions
to browser hacking.  The pillars of the style are, in reality:

W3C DOM.
Structural HTML
CSS for display.
Behaviors vs attributes.
Microformats.
RESTful interactions for APIs.

Major JS functions moved to FOSS libraries like prototype.js and Dojo
rather than hand-hacked one-off code.

-Lucas