[FoRK] mod_pubsub way ahead of its time: Comet solves Ajax-envy

Lucas Gonze < lgonze at panix.com > on > Wed Mar 8 18:46:14 PST 2006

XMLHTTP is almost completely irrelevant.  It was only important in that
users had a gee-whiz payoff from the accomplishments of the client-side
hackers.  Those accomplishments came from somewhere else -- bringing the
discipline of FOSS development over from Gnu/Linux to apps hosted in the
browser.

In effect the browser hosted running environment was just another fucked
up flavor of unix to wrapper and turn into something orderly, albeit one
without POSIX.