[FoRK] mod_pubsub way ahead of its time: Comet solves Ajax-envy

Gavin Thomas Nicol < gtn at rbii.com > on > Wed Mar 8 19:11:27 PST 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 9:46 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> In effect the browser hosted running environment was just another
> fucked up flavor of unix to wrapper and turn into something
> orderly, albeit one without POSIX.

It's still a screwed up model. All that pox-ridden scripting
shouldn't exist in a sensible world. People (self included) tried to
explain to the browser wonks that an awful lot can be defined in
stylesheets with minimal scripting in the stylesheets to glue things
together. Sadly, they were so enamoured with their navels that they
didn't listen.

I think the 90's set many aspects of software development back about
15 years... crap winning a beauty competition because most people
were too ignorant to recognise the idiocy taking place. Popularity,
monopolies and network effects don't diminish bad design... they just
make it pervasive.