[FoRK] mod_pubsub way ahead of its time: Comet solves Ajax-envy

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Thu Mar 9 04:53:35 PST 2006

Pages coded this way in Javascript should assume that the connection
will die many times and just restart it quietly.
The server side in fact should also use some combination of keep alive
transmissions and dropping the connection periodically.

The goal is to cut down on constant polling and heavy transactions in
favor of bidirectional async channels with low and tunable overhead.

I still favor HTTP semantics over BEEP, but that will take a while to
gain favor.

sdw