[FoRK] This Crazy World, Part One: Dangerous Subjects

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Sat Mar 11 21:44:44 PST 2006

(NOTA BENE:  this is the first in a series of postings about an
entirely insane occurrence in my life over the last two weeks, my
response to it, and various tangential thoughts / semi-conclusions
drawn from it.  I'm writing this up and posting it to FoRK for three
reasons:  first and foremost is entertainment value.  As dark as this
series of events has been, there's a certain hilarity to the whole
thing.  Second, it's a cautionary tale coupled with a degree of self-
exploration that together result in, perhaps, surprising
conclusions.  And third, there are perhaps various extrapolations
from this whole series of events that are noteworthy.  Enjoy, be
scared, be informed, whatever.  This is a very LONG message, as will
be subsequent messages on this topic;  but I hope to reward you for
reading each of these in terms of entertainment value, if nothing else.)

(My apologies up front for any typos, logical mishaps, etc.  I'm
trying to deliver a large amount of data in an admittedly excited
state.)

I have a serious cyber-stalking incident going on, that - I believe -
poses a credible and serious threat to my well-being.  The perp in
question is the "dangerous subject" of the title of this post.  This
post is the initial part of the story of my cyber-stalking, in loose
narrative form.  For the purposes of this discussion, I will call the
individual who is criminally harassing me "Shane."  Stick with this
all the way through;  the first part is boring but I PROMISE that
this gets A LOT more interesting.

---

About 10 years ago, while Active Paper was still in the PDA business
(i.e., before we shifted to Activerse and the online community
business) I hired an extremely talented, very young user interface
developer from California.  Shane had a very impressive portfolio and
disproportionate resume for his age --- he'd worked for Apple and for
Motorola previously and done impressive and publicly-visible work,
though for very short tenures at all former employers, but I (an
inexperienced hiring manager at the time) chalked that up to age-
related restlessness and ambition --- acceptable things, if not
good.  Both my technical co-founder and our head non-founder techie
at the time interviewed and interacted with him extensively before he
was hired.  And so, with unanimous enthusiasm, we hired him.

Shane was relocated from California to Austin with the intent of
putting him on PDA software.  We'd managed a first release of Presto!
Links 1.0, the first (AFAIK) web browser to run on mobile, handheld
devices.  At the time, tables were interpreted in idiosyncratic ways
in various browsers, and the first task that we gave to Shane was to
implement HTML tables per the de facto spec as implemented in the
prevailing browsers at the time ('96-'97).  Despite months, he was
unable to complete this.  During this effort on his part, Active
Paper sold the PDA product line to General Magic and exited (for lack
of a clear market opportunity / leader at the time) the PDA software
space.  We also acquired another startup, changed the company name to
Activerse, shifted business to the buddy list space, and I turned the
reins as VP Engineering over to a more seasoned development manager
who we brought in with the acquisition.

Despite months of effort, Shane never completed a working tables
implementation, even during the contract transition period post-our
sale to GenMagic.  Furthermore, even once we shifted him to other
endeavors he never completed *anything* in terms of shippable code.
Shane was, however, possibly redeemed at Java One, the first year Sun
held it;  a hallway conversation between the two of us resulted in my
complete 180 and effort to refocus the company on a previous interest
of mine, namely online community.  To the extent that Activerse
(admittedly in parallel with several other companies) "invented"
buddy lists and instant messaging as a killer app, Shane was one of 3
of us who can rightly be said to be responsible for that.  (The other
is, of course, our own Gordon Mohr.)

Despite that, Shane's tenure at Activerse was short-lived.  As a
chronic pothead and slacker, and despite his talent and passion, he
was unable to get anything done.  After approximately a year of
tenure (this is long ago, I don't have records handy --- plus/minus 6
months) our new VP of Engineering had had enough, and fired Shane
with my blessing and support.  I personally hoped this would be a
wake-up call and turn him around;  I would have happily seen this
person re-employed or employed at some place where his obvious
talents would've been effectively leveraged.  He was, indeed, *that
good.*

This was not to be.  After months of helping Shane every way I could
in terms of finding contract or other work, he ultimately moved back
to California (Bay Area).  I more-or-less lost track of him at that
point, though I periodically received e-mails from him every 3-9
months or so and a volley of amicable messages would ensue.  During
this time, Shane moved around a lot:  Bay Area, L.A., Fiji, Hawaii,
Australia:  the common theme was lack of even medium-term
employability, and the geographic gravity-well seemed to be the Bay
Area.

And that's where things were, up until 2-3 years ago or so.  His
decline, and our ascent to the current high-tension phase of the
relationship, commenced at that point --- 2-3 years ago --- as
follows.  About 3 years ago Shane started copying me on increasingly-
bizarre messages.  Basically, Shane's drug use had escalated from
regular pot and occasional methamphetamines to regular use of
ketamine, gamma-hydroxybutyrate, and other extremely neurotoxic
substances.  At this point in time, Shane's messages seemed to
indicate that he was beginning to fail to distinguish between drug-
induced hallucinations / misperceptions and reality.  After
attempting to "talk him through" several episodes during this phase,
I became frustrated and realized that I, really, didn't have a "dog
in this hunt."  I advised him, very clearly and sternly, to stop
communicating with me unless he somehow got his shit together.

Shane and I continued to correspond in an infrequent / bursty pattern
- 10s of messages episodically, every 3-6 months - over the next year
os so.  And here I break to extrapolation about the chain of events
in Shane's life.  Apparently:  about 2 years ago, Shane (after a
series of profound ketamine-induced drug experiences) hooked up with
some rather cultish figures.  At the time he was apparently living in
a fairly-expensive apartment with view on Nob Hill in San Francisco
--- indicative of the fact that while he couldn't hold a job for any
length of time, he was still able regularly to procure high-ish
paying jobs at least in a quality assurance role in the software
industry.

His mental state declined precipitously, AFAIK, at that point.
Shane's messages started having a decidedly insane tin-foil beanie
quality:  conspiracies, UFOs, black-budget and black-ops themes, Area
51 / Groom Lake, etc.  Notably, at this point, Shane began telling me
that he was seeing "extra-dimensional beings" that were communicating
with him during his trips.  He admonished me to "learn about the
floor" --- to take ketamine so that I could also receive the
revelations and perceive the things that he was experiencing.  I of
course declined, and advised him to stop the drug use, get some help,
and form a good skeptical barrier between "subjective" and "objective."

His contacts became less frequent and unacceptably bizarre and
belligerent.  As of about a year and a half ago, he'd apparently
fallen in with a cult with some very bizarre beliefs.  I elide these
beliefs as they are elaborated below;  the net result of this is that
--- unknown to me until about 10 days ago --- Shane moved from the
Bay Area to the Mt. Shasta, California* area to "study" with one of
these cult leaders.  About a year ago, I had an episode of contact
from him that blew out my "freak" meter.  I advised him to stop
contacting me, and had not (to my knowledge thanks to mail filtering
technology) heard from him since April-May of last year, up until
March 1st, 2006.  At which point, all hell broke loose.

On Wednesday, March 1st, in the early afternoon CST, I started
receiving a variety of messages from Shane.  I won't go into how I
noticed these in depth --- it involved a mail filter that he defeated
by setting up his own filter, ultimately resulting in an infinite
loop of hundreds of messages, golf-ball-room-full-of-mouse-traps
style --- but the net of it is that this most recent episode had
crossed the line legally.  In the last 10 days Shane / his cult has
threatened to kidnap me, torture me, and murder me repeatedly.  And
here's where it gets --- GOOD.

I will at this point attempt to describe what Shane believes that
motivates his insane behavior, as I understand it currently.

Shane believes that he is a psychic extraterrestrial angel from
another dimension / the future.  He believes that he is part of some
ET angelic forces that have been sent to prosecute "the enemy" (more
later) and / or help this world transition from its current
physical / social / metaphysical / spiritual state to another
dimension / density.  (Or whatever, grrr, this bullshit defeats me.)
He believes that he has a divine / inborn mandate, that he is
"indwelled" by some higher force / being, and that he is receiving
orders from an angelic, superior, alien species that is, in part,
residing within "Telos" --- a city apparently in the hollow core of
the Earth, which has regional boundary-cities / a presence in a vast
underground complex below Mt. Shasta.  He is, alternately and / or
compositely, an "Elohim," an ET, a "starseed," a "wingmaker," and /
or an "Indigo."  In any and every case, Shane is a member of a higher-
power "Special Forces" military unit sent to root out the forces of
evil and ensure the judgment of the evil on this planet and the
subsequent ascension of the good / innocent.  In addition to this, of
course, he is the incarnation of one of the 12 creators of everything
that is.

Shane further believes that the world / humanity is and has been
controlled for aeons by an evil alien / angelic (fallen variety)
species of reptilian aliens who have infiltrated governments and
human societies throughout human history and been aided in their
efforts, at least recently, by aliens from Zeta Reticuli --- the
"grey aliens" of popular mythology.  The Illuminati are real, and of
course are --- while being the lords of the Earth --- in cahoots with
the reptilians, the grey aliens, and the fallen angels / demons from
the mythologies of popular religions.

I myself am (in his delusion) a time-traveling Satanist Nazi
homosexual child-raping human-sacrificing mind-controlling Republican
reptilian alien securities-defrauder working on aiding the AI
takeover of the world on behalf of the forces of evil, and I have a
past-life history of evil and / or support of evil.  While I
categorically deny any and all of those things --- of course --- I am
entirely befuddled by his identification of me with ANY of those
classifications.  As far as I can tell, his whole identification of
me as a "bad guy" is based on the following nutty inferences:

   (1) I used "Lucifer" as a handle on a MUD years ago, therefore I'm
a "Luciferian" and / or "Satanist" - human sacrifice, etc.
   (2) I work with AI, therefore I'm aiding some evil effort to let
the machines take over on behalf of the bad aliens ("SKYNET")
   (3) Some of my former investors etc. were well-connected
Republicans, therefore I'm in league with Bush etc.
   (4) Inman invested in Activerse, therefore I'm involved in mind-
control operations with the CIA and / or NSA (I'm his "handler")
   (5) I've told him repeatedly and bluntly how full of shit he is,
so more mind-control / disinformation / CIA / etc.
   (6) I work for a profitable investment company, therefore I must
be guilty of securities fraud and related conspiracy
   (7) The Inman connection also implicates me in the gov't cover-up
of the presence and role of aliens in world history

He also accuses me of being a time-traveling Nazi (despite the fact
that I'm an anti-authoritarian that's demonstrably entirely race-
blind, while he appears to have some significant issues w/ racism ---
after all, his whole delusion is one giant race war / genocidal
scenario, and despite the fact that somewhere back a few generations
I have some *felds and lived in a Jewish dorm in college) and a
pedophile (he claims I regularly have child-rape parties with Bush,
Bush Sr., Cheney, and others, as well as ongoing participation in
something called the "Montauk Project" or some shit where, he claims,
the CIA uses time travel to abduct children, brainwash them, and
return them unaware to "the timeline.")  He also used to be friends
with Cassandra, my ex-wife.  Long ago she used had some agoraphobia
problems which she might have once related to him, now effectively
treated, and apparently from that he's constructed this whole
delusion that I used to keep her locked up at home and used to rape
her, asphyxiate her, and so on.  (Cass and I parted amicably and are
still friends, though she is now terrified of Shane.)

As retribution for my supposed character flaws / "criminal" offenses,
Shane has threatened to / claimed that:

   (0) travel to my current location and invade my house (burglary)
   (1) tear me to pieces (torture, murder)
   (2) take me to another 3D locale (kidnapping, in his vernacular)
   (3) that he masturbates to videos of me being tortured (torture,
sexual sadism)
   (4) that I am currently undergoing a tribunal of ET angels, and
will subsequently be executed
   (5) that these "good" ET angels intend to commit genocide on
anyone that does not acknowledge their authority

(Note I'm eliding quotes, typographic upper-case and emphasis, and
upper-case because it should be clear that ALL of this is totally
absurd.  I am guilty of typographic pity on you, the reader, as well
as anything else. ;-)

I should make it clear that I acknowledge / believe absolutely NONE
of this bullshit.  I should also make it clear that my only
trepidation / fear of Shane's threatening messages comes from (a) the
extremely violent nature of his threats coupled with (b) my own
research into paranoid schizophrenia as well as the effects of
prolonged ketamine use.  Ketamine apparently induces a temporary
condition akin to acute schizophrenia, and even in semi-regular
temporary abuse produces profound and often extremely violent
psychosis.  A latent schizophrenic --- which I believe Shane's
history indicates --- using ketamine on a regular and prolonged basis
equals --- grave danger.  Ketamine use by latent schizophrenics is
like throwing jet fuel on a smoldering fire.

I will also note that Shane has violated numerous state and federal
statues, including but not limited to 18 USC 875(c), and 18 USC 2261
(a).  My legal maneuvers and their (to date) results will be
elaborated in follow-on messages.

While many on this list might classify me in the "tin-foil beanie"
category due to my previous very vocal criticism of our current
political leadership, I hope it's clear from the previous that there
is a dividing line between (a) always assuming the worst of elected
politicians and assuming that, perhaps and indeed, the
"elephant" (money * power) is clearly always "in the living room" and
(b) being a paranoid schizophrenic clearly exhibiting severe
neurological disorders and delusions coupled with aggressive and
hostile criminal behavior, not to mention horrid e-mail etiquette ---
the latter of which, admittedly, I'm guilty of myself. ;-)  (Though
hopefully clearly innocent of ALL the former!)

So where does this leave me?  While I started this process, circa the
most recent episode, being (a) rather amused by Shane's delusions ---
I mean, who can write this stuff, it's better than reading Robert
Anton Wilson***? --- and (b) being slightly annoyed --- I have ended
being fearful of my / my family's life and well-being.  I have
started pursuing this as vigorously as possible on a legal dimension,
which has led me to a significant interaction with various
authorities (FBI, Secret Service, various local law enforcement
agencies) over the last week and a half.  I've learned a lot about:
law enforcement --- both local and interstate --- as well as cults,
drugs and mental illness, the law, self-defense, firearms, and the
epidemiology of BAD MEMES.

But all those are topics for subsequent posts:  "This Crazy World:
Dangerous {Responses, Objects, Thoughts}."

Until then,

Be careful out there.

jb

* PS - when this most recent episode started, I assumed that Shane
was in the same location as I'd last known him to be in --- Nob Hill,
San Francisco.  I learned about his current locale as follows.
Shane's into digital photography;  through a series of photographs
online and the dates that he had taken them, I figured out that he'd
been spending a lot of time in the Mt. Shasta area.  This, coupled
with some image analysis, coupled with some research that indicated
the density and similarity of belief in many of the delusions that
Shane has adopted wholesale, led me to believe that he was still /
currently residing in the Mt. Shasta Area.

** PPS - the image analysis part of this may be of some interest to
some folks here, so I'll describe it.  Shane sent me a picture of
himself and three other individuals standing in front of a cabin,
with twin peaks in the distance.  I recognized the peaks from a road
trip some 16 years ago as Mts. Shasta and Shastina.  I was further
able to pinpoint his exact location as follows:

	41°28'10.04"N    122°17'52.79W

I think I might be off by as much as 3 miles in any direction, but
probably no more than that.  I was able to determine this by about 20
minutes of effort, about 7 hours after he sent me the picture in
question.

All it took was a basic knowledge of image formats, physics, an HP
calculator, and Google.  All kinds of interesting stuff in pictures.
Like the fact that he had an Olympus X-2, C50Z camera.  Like he was
shooting at 7.8mm focal length, for about 0.0333... seconds.  Using
that information and the pixel size of the camera's CCD (obtained
from the tech specs online) vs. the pixel size of the image, I
discerned that the image wasn't cropped.  Given that and a little
trig, I could calculate the % of a 180° field of view covered by the
image.  Then, using the ratio of the pixel distance between the peaks
to the pixel size of the image, I could calculate the arc covered by
the two peaks.  The actual distance between the two is easily looked
up.  A little more trig, and I knew the exact distance from the
highest peak that the camera was positioned when the picture was
taken.  (To be completely honest, I assumed that the peaks were
equidistant.  This accounts for, probably, up to 3 miles of error.)

Then it's a simple matter of looking at a terrain rendering of the
topo of the area.  Pick a random point the indicated distance away
from the peak, pin the peak, and spin the whole thing around looking
from eye level until the image matches roughly.  Then overlay the
satellite image until you can clearly see that the various features
--- alluvials, snow fields, etc. --- match as precisely as possible.
Voila...  coordinates.

I got bored with the process before I bothered to determine the exact
date and time the picture was shot, though that would've been an
equally entertaining puzzle had I not already been so vexed with his
monstrous behavior.

*** PPPS - I have characterized Shane's delusional world-view as a
virtual Borges' library of bad ideas and cast-off plots contributed
by Robert Anton Wilson, Dan Brown, and Umberto Eco --- with lots of
derivative pulp-work thrown in by varioius / any / all New Age
authors and the National Inquirer.  Shirley MacLaine is the
librarian;  William Burroughs is the janitor.