[FoRK] Re: Amazing

mattj at newsblip.com < mattj at newsblip.com > on > Tue Mar 14 09:02:13 PST 2006

> I also read a story like that, except that I think it was a rotating
> cylinder coated in wax. Or maybe it was tin foil; I forget.

Tinfoil first, at least according to Hollywood.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032432/
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:8qr5jBOfA5gYAM:http://www.edisonphonograph.com/ww.JPG

As I mentioned in old bits, I bought the hobby kit that makes an Edison
cylinder recorder that records on plastic cups. (I still haven't
assembled it yet, though.)

The cylinder recorder was replaced by the more space-efficient record
discs, of course.  (Edison fought that, as he fought many improvements
of his work.)  Anyway,  I was just wondering what the most
space-efficient format would be for a groove recording. And in a
practical sense; what shape of medium would allow the biggest
collection (in recorded hours) to sit in someone's closet?

Rectangular shapes fill up rectangular closets fairly well.  But if the
player is moving this rectangle in zigzags, like a CRT's electron beam,
it seems a little tricky to swing the pickup needle around to the next
groove.  Even if that problem is solved, it might be best to have a
looooong rectangle, so you canmaximize the straightaways and minimize
the hairpin turns, if just for easier maintenance.

Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle